Thursday, June 16, 2011

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?!

     So, after several conversations with different nursing friends, I decided to volunteer at, well, let's call it "Feel Better Hospital." I need to give it a pseudonym to get into the habit of thinking, HIPAA compliance, HIPAA compliance, gotta' always think about Almighty HIPAA compliance...
     So, I called up the Volunteer coordinator, then received an e-mail from her with attachments to fill out. After finishing the volunteer application, I then met with her. She e-mailed me saying that I needed to go to this certain website to fill out the paperwork electronically for my background check. A day later, she got back to me saying that I needed to proceed with the health clearance. OK. I then called the health office at FBH (Feel Better Hospital) and ask if I can come in to get my TB test. Umm...1 1/2 hours later, a TB shot, a urine drug screen, a trip to the building across the street for blood work, a quick stop by my car to feed the meter, then head over to yet another building for a physical exam by a doctor. Huh?! "I had a physical exam with my doctor about two months ago. Do I need another one?" Nod and serious look, "Yes." Ok. When the medical assistant brought me the gown and said, "Here, change into this..." I clarified that I could leave my undergarments on. I was NOT going to completely undress for a silly physical. He told me I didn't have to. Dr. Charming walked in and quickly determined that I had a pulse, didn't have pneumonia, and could walk and chew gum at the same time. Hooray! And, then, I went home, my arms bandaged from fluids going in and fluids going out.
     Yikes! I thought I was going in for a simple TB test. Tomorrow I return to FBH with proof of my negative TB test from my doctor's office done 4 months ago as well as the reading on my left forearm of this current test. Because, you see, they need a two-step TB test. Of course they do!
     But it's all okay. Hopefully I'll be volunteering on Labor and Delivery and Postpartum at FBH soon! And then the adventures will really begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment